Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Measure advantages of toothy edge?
Many people said finishing 1000 ~ 2000 grit(whetstone) is the best for use. I think it's good balance of sharpness and micro serration. 

But sharpness testing with Edge Tester is done by push cutting action. So, is it impossible to measure the merits(edge retention, better at slicing) of a toothy edge with an Edge Tester?
(08-05-2019, 02:00 AM)SHARPCO Wrote: Many people said finishing 1000 ~ 2000 grit(whetstone) is the best for use. I think it's good balance of sharpness and micro serration. 

Well, if think it's a good balance of sharpness and micro serration then do that!  The edges you produce are extremely sharp and no doubt perform well.  It may be your path to sharpening nirvana.  

But sharpness testing with Edge Tester is done by push cutting action. So, is it impossible to measure the merits(edge retention, better at slicing) of a toothy edge with an Edge Tester?

EOU Sharpness testers are not designed to determine how well an edge will slice.  They simply measure sharpness at a very small section of a blade.  Multiple measurements allow for calculating an average and providing a general impression of how sharp the edge is overall.

A better instrument for testing slicing ability is a very ripe tomato.  You can also play around with onion or garlic skins placed flat on a cutting board, or see if the blade slips off the edge when trying to cut right on apex of the curve of the above mentioned items.

You seem to prefer a more polished edge than I do.  Nothing wrong with that. I cannot determine or resolve what will work best for you.  I humbly suggest that you experiment and proceed in consideration of your results.

I appreciate your comment. There are many sharpening methods in the world, and I think they are all worth it. I'm talking with many Koreans these days. Their hand-sharpening skills are so great that I'm trying to learn something from them. Of course I still love my Viel.