Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vibration of Kally
Wink 
Hello everyone. 

[Image: IMG_1509.jpg?type=w773]

I changed my Viel S5 to Kally. Yeah, I think it's upgrade. 

But unfortunately, I found one defect. This machine makes vibration just before it stops working.(Not during operation.) Check below video. That kally has exactly same problem. 

How do you think about that?
It would help if you could be far more specific. At exactly what time into the video do you see the problem?

I looked at the very end of the video when Brian turned off the machine and did not see any vibration.

Does the vibration happen when the machine is turned off and the motor spins down? Is a problem when sharpening?

Please provide more exact information describing the issue and how you consider it to be a problem.
(08-21-2020, 10:58 PM)grepper Wrote: It would help if you could be far more specific.  At exactly what time into the video do you see the problem?

I looked at the very end of the video when Brian turned off the machine and did not see any vibration.

Does the vibration happen when the machine is turned off and the motor spins down?  Is a problem when sharpening?

Please provide more exact information describing the issue and how you consider it to be a problem.

Hello grepper. 

Check 1:08. 

Vibration occurs before a complete stop. Of course this doesn't affect the sharpening, but it bothers me.
Yeah, I see that.  You mean that little belt wobble just before it stops?  If so, it's nothing to worry about. Just forget about it and the problem will go away. Smile

My guess is that most likely what you are seeing is not vibration, but a belt that is not cut perfectly straight and evenly.  That is not uncommon.  Try some other belts.  Does this happen with different belts?  But really I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't think there is a problem with your Kally.  

Once the machine is running at speed, it's spinning so fast you can't see the uneven cut of the belt and besides, it makes no difference when sharpening.  Or maybe the belt doesn't track perfectly just before it stops and wonders a bit on the pulley when it's not at speed.  

If you remove the belt and turn off the machine is there a vibration when it spins down?

Not trying to ignore what you see, but I really don't see any problem to be concerned about.
(08-21-2020, 11:54 PM)grepper Wrote: Yeah, I see that.  You mean that little belt wobble just before it stops?  If so, it's nothing to worry about. Just forget about it and the problem will go away. Smile

My guess is that most likely what you are seeing is not vibration, but a belt that is not cut perfectly straight and evenly.  That is not uncommon.  Try some other belts.  Does this happen with different belts?  But really I wouldn't worry about it.  I don't think there is a problem with your Kally.  

Once the machine is running at speed, it's spinning so fast you can't see the uneven cut of the belt and besides, it makes no difference when sharpening.  Or maybe the belt doesn't track perfectly just before it stops and wonders a bit on the pulley when it's not at speed.  

If you remove the belt and turn off the machine is there a vibration when it spins down?

Not trying to ignore what you see, but I really don't see any problem to be concerned about.

You mean that little belt wobble just before it stops?
>>> No. The thing that I'm telling is post. You can see vibrating yellow cover in the video. 

>>> No, I couldn't see any vibration. 

I couldn't this problem in the other YouTube videos except I mentioned. 

When I grab the post and shake it, it shakes easily. I think this is the cause of the problem.
As I said on another forum a few days ago:

The Kalamazoo is a bit like an old Ford truck.  Does what it's supposed to do and does a good job of it.  Simple robust engineering.   Seemingly very durable.  But not a precision machine.  It's not "the BMW" of sanders.

Perhaps you are looking for something with more precision engineering.  Note that most precision engineered devices have tighter tolerances and more failure modes.  Ford trucks just run and run.  BMWs require a lot more care and maintenance.  The Audi S4s I used to drive needed a LOT of maintenance and it that maintenance was very expensive.

Just an analogy.  I'm actually not sure what sanding machine would be like a BMW.  Maybe something like a Coote or a Burr King?  I've never used either one so...

Brian.
I think that is a belt wobble as there is no tension on it at either pully. And that amount of wobble is totally minor too. I've worked with belt driven power tools for years and have seen that many times when shutting down and much worse. My old delta unisaw does that every time to some degree when I shut it down.