Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viel Variable Speed Motor Conversion - Alternative Method
(08-10-2019, 01:27 PM)Bud Wrote: That is nice work Mr. Rick Kr! I'm really interested in doing the same with my Kally. I really think that the ability to change belt directions might produce some interesting results. For sure it would make for interesting experimentation.

Thanks, Mr. Bud.  I don't know what kind of motor your Kally has.  If it is a DC motor, all you need is the switch. 

I used a "mini" rocker switch, by Gama Electronics.  Possibly the only limitation is that it is rated for only 6 amps. 
Gara Electronics Mini Rocker DPDT

A larger rocker switch might be in order.  I ordered three of these from Gama a couple days ago.  Their delivery on the minis was quite fast, so I should see them early next week. 
Gama Electronics Rocker DPDT

CAD drawings of the switches and wiring diagrams are available for download from the Gama pages listed above.  

Neither the PSI motor or controller indicate amperage draws. 

Rick
This is a great thread on setting up your Viel. Thanks for all the great info, pictures and drawings.

Did you need to modify the drive wheel with that Penn State motor?
For those reading and finding that when adapted for a belt the screws and collar get in the way, a few solutions:
Tormek knife grinding jig large knob gets in the way
-use a m6x12mm button cap screw instead, lots of clearance!
-use the small screw from the tormek square angle jig. You can order it here:
https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com...67be&_ss=r
-you can also use a m6x12mm socket set screw (grub screw)
Collar gets in the way:
-you can use a 12mm drill stop collar. this will also allow you to pivot the knife more freely if the belly has a large curve
(08-21-2020, 11:00 PM)Oceanrider Wrote: This is a great thread on setting up your Viel.  Thanks for all the great info, pictures and drawings.

Did you need to modify the drive wheel with that Penn State motor?

Yes and No.  I bought the Viel without the motor and drive wheel, as part of the process for using the Penn State motor.  This is a method/combo that Steve Bottorff sells (Viel and smaller drive wheel (3-3/4") bored for the Penn State motor).  I bought the motor from PSI, of course.  At that time, the smaller drive wheel bore matched the then Penn State motor (1/2 HP).

However, since then, Penn State has changed the motor to 3/4 HP.  It appears Steve has updated his stuff to be consistent with the new PSI motor with a 15mm drive shaft.

Rick