Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knife Review: Lionsteel M4
This thread is a new approach for me regarding sharing my reviews. Forums are where I came from, and the discussion on forums is something I hope to be involved in and inspire. It has become too much work to convert the reviews published on my website into forum versions, so I need to try something else to stay in touch with the forums.

I am only including a headline introduction and link to the review - please return to this forum to discuss the review or ask questions.

To the Moderators, there is a reciprocal link at the end of every review on Tactical Reviews. If you have any concerns over this approach please let me know.

Knife Review: Lionsteel M4               

[Image: Lionsteel-M4-00-feature-P1330361.jpg]    

If the Lionsteel M4 is not on your list of candidates for a utility / bushcraft / general purpose fixed blade knife, it should be. It is not a new model at the time of this review, now entering its third year of production, and the Mik Molletta designed M4 from Lionsteel seemingly finds that […]
Tactical Reviews by Subwoofer
http://www.tacticalreviews.co.uk
Instagram @tacticalreviews
Thanks for another great and detailed review! You do excellent reviews Mr. Subwoofer.

I like how you always include data in your reviews, especially edge sharpness numbers. I've found it interesting how many new blades are 200+, in this case ~250. I presume this a balance between usability and edge retention.
(03-21-2019, 08:04 PM)grepper Wrote: Thanks for another great and detailed review!  You do excellent reviews Mr. Subwoofer.

I like how you always include data in your reviews, especially edge sharpness numbers.  I've found it interesting how many new blades are 200+, in this case ~250.  I presume this a balance between usability and edge retention.

You've just got me thinking of a few extra tests I want to run now.

Factory edges are an interesting subject. I was chatting with the guys at Chris Reeve Knives, and they said that even for their high end knives, the economics dictate that they can only have an operator sharpening any one blade for about 15s. More than that and they are having production held up and other team members not working. To increase this would need another person and add further cost to production.

This is going to be the same across all manufacturers so I'd say the factory edge sharpness is always going to be limited.

However, the other side to this is exactly that a finer edge is going to be more subject to rolling or chipping if a hard steel, so there is a practical limit on how sharp an edge should be for different uses.

I have found that I now aim for 200 when sharpening, and have a process that gives me that pretty reliably with relatively low effort. This is the edge I put on each knife I test, once I've measured the factory edge, and it easily shaves hair and slides through thin magazine paper.
Tactical Reviews by Subwoofer
http://www.tacticalreviews.co.uk
Instagram @tacticalreviews
(03-22-2019, 09:26 AM)subwoofer Wrote: I have found that I now aim for 200 when sharpening, and have a process that gives me that pretty reliably with relatively low effort. This is the edge I put on each knife I test, once I've measured the factory edge, and it easily shaves hair and slides through thin magazine paper.

Read you loud and clear, Subwoofer. Major bonus points if you can do it "in the field" as quickly and easily too.

I was only slightly disappointed that the M4 morphed into M390....  Wink
(03-22-2019, 09:26 AM)subwoofer Wrote: I was chatting with the guys at Chris Reeve Knives, and they said that even for their high end knives, the economics dictate that they can only have an operator sharpening any one blade for about 15s. More than that and they are having production held up and other team members not working. To increase this would need another person and add further cost to production.

Only 15s to sharpen an edge?  I suppose doing it day in and day out speed would improve, but still, only 15s? That's surprising and amazing. I’m totally guessing, but I’d think that varies significantly for manufacturers.  No matter how fast the sharpener, 15s is not much time.

I would think that would indicate that the edges are well formed before the final “sharpening”.  It would be interesting to see the process end to end.

I generally shoot for ~150 and toothy if only because I like toothy and 150.  I don’t want or need sharper for what I use blades for, and a nice toothy 150 edge performs well.  I don’t doubt that 150 may not be the most durable, but it floats my boat and brings me joy so that’s what I do.