Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpening with gator belt?
I love the gator belts. It makes very clean satin finish with hair line. And it generates less heat. 

But I rarely heard of using it for knife sharpening.

What do you think?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think if you search around a bit you'll find a lot of folks like "gators" for sharpening, and I'll bet there are a lot of people here who have used them too.

I have some and have used them. For me they feel a bit thick against the blade, but they are not bad, seem to hold up well and produce a nice finish.

Everybody seems to have their favorite belts and like them for one reason or another. I guess it's a just a matter of personal preference. My favorite belts are still Cubitrons.
(01-02-2019, 11:08 PM)grepper Wrote: I think if you search around a bit you'll find a lot of folks like "gators" for sharpening, and I'll bet there are a lot of people here who have used them too.

I have some and have used them.  For me they feel a bit thick against the blade, but they are not bad, seem to hold up well and produce a nice finish.  

Everybody seems to have their favorite belts and like them for one reason or another.  I guess it's a just a matter of personal preference.  My favorite belts are still Cubitrons.

You're right. If I preferred toothy edge then I've used Blaze 120 grit or Cubitrons 150 grit like you. But I need more belts because I like polished edge.
I haven't seen the structured abrasive Gators, as pictured, in 1" belts. I use them in 2x72 quite a bit. They leave a nice finish, but I don't use them for sharpening. They would have terrible feel- very bumpy.

The backing is too light for sharpening IMHO. Much like Trizacts, they will present a very curved surface on 1" wide machines.