Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blade Taper Angle? - Super Easy Way To Know
Stay with me here.  At the end I’ll show how we can do this in only 15 seconds.

To calculate the taper of the blade all we need to know is the thickness of the blade at the spine and the width from spine to edge.

This is the knife from this post: http://bessex.com/forum/showthread.php?t...17#pid5317

The green/blue just shows the blade bisected into two triangles.  We know the thickness at the spine and the width from spine to edge.  Divide the thickness in half to get ½ the thickness.

Here is the triangle formed by ½ of the bisected blade.  Why do this?  Because now we have a simple triangle.  We know three things:  The length of two sides (2.012, 22.999) and one angle 90°.  This is cool because we can use SAS (Side Angle Side) calculations to get the length of the hypotenuse and from there the interior angles.

All that’s left to do are some quick and simple mental calculations to determine the taper angle is 5°.

Of course some (most?) blades get thinner at the spine from the handle to the tip.  Oh well, other than using a CNC machine with some complicated programming for sharpening, we’ll just have to live with it.  Maybe the best thing to do is to pick some mid point and call it good.

As promised, here’s how to do this in 15 seconds!  Go to either of these two web sites, select SAS calculation, enter ½ the spine thickness for one side and the width of the blade from spine to edge for the other side and 90° for the angle.  Press the GO button.  Done.

https://www.triangle-calculator.com/?wha...bmit=Solve

http://www.1728.org/trig4.htm

A Google search turns out many triangle calculators.

See?  Easy!
Thanks Mark! I understand it now. No protractor needed, just calipers.
Awesome!
So Grepper... you're not just another pretty face! You've got brains as well!  Great job! This needs to go up as a sticky on the Exchange.

Now, for your next project...how do I make my wife happy?
(03-30-2020, 09:39 AM)Mike Brubacher Wrote: So Grepper... you're not just another pretty face! You've got brains as well!  Great job! This needs to go up as a sticky on the Exchange.

Now, for your next project...how do I make my wife happy?

LOL, that's like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
Ah, the age old question. That question was recently input into IBM's Watson supercomputer. It instantaneously output "NON SEQUITUR INQUIRY".

I can only suggest extensive experimentation with constant and copious apologies even for things you never did, sprinkled with a cornucopia of complements and abundant adoration.

Or maybe the answer is simple: Move out.
(03-30-2020, 12:35 PM)grepper Wrote: Ah, the age old question. That question was recently input into IBM's Watson supercomputer. It instantaneously output "NON SEQUITUR INQUIRY".

Second answer, "Joshua/WOPR: Shall we play a game?"
WOPR: "Shall we play a game?"
Watson: "NON SEQUITUR INQUIRY"
WOPR: "Affirmative. Inquiry is to test your MIPS Watson."
LOL, too funny.