Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammer for blade repairing
I'm looking for hammer for repairing of high-end knife. I will mainly use it to straighten out the bended tip or blade. What hammer is suitable? ball-peen? steel or brass?
I used to live near a small company which made drill bits. They had machines for checking the straightness of drill rod. Part of the process was a device with two pins sticking up. These could be perhaps 1/4” (6mm) in diameter and securely mounted. Between these two pins was a cam with a handle long enough to provide good leverage. As the handle was turned, the cam would put pressure on the drill rod (or knife blade) thus gently straightening it. 

A set up like this would allow you to gradually and gently straighten a knife blade. Perhaps something like this may already be in use. Any thoughts, knifemakers?

Ken
Mr. Ken, are you talking about hardened drill bits or unhardened drill bit material? I've never bent a good drill bit, but I've broken tons of them. I have bent many drill bits, because cheap bits do that, but it's not possible to get them straight enough.

The only difference between steel and brass hammers is brass won't mar steel. Otherwise they work the same, and I've had almost 100% success breaking the blade before getting the kink out.

There are two methods that can work. Three nails and a vice is very similar to two posts and a cam. You can position the knife and nails very precisely, and the vice gives you a high level of dexterity.  

If you can remove the handle, you can shim and clamp your blade to a piece of heavier steel and lightly temper the blade. That's by far the least likely to break the blade, and a light temper will only drop the hardness about one point.

I would give you much clearer instructions, with pictures, if you're interested.