Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knife to Belt Pressure vs Bevel Scratching
I have to admit that 80 grit is a tad on the gnarly side, even for me!  Wink     My current thinking is that I’m looking for 120-150 grit.  I did the 80 grit blade just to see what I would get, and really had never even considered going that coarse before for a finish grind.

And you know, it was really not that bad, but just very, very gnarly.  It kind of grabs and tears at stuff, which depending on what is being cut, may be just the ticket, but I think you would want to have a reason for that particular edge.  That thing grabbed onto polypropylene baler twine and just cut it without hardly any slicing movement at all.  But for general use I’d say it’s definitely on the gnarly side of toothy.  @ 20° bevel I had a final sharpness of 205g on the PT50B.  That’s why I’m thinking maybe 120-150 grit.  A bit less extreme.

You found Cubitron II Ceramic in a 1x42 belt!  Thanks for the link.  Know of a source for same in a 120-150 grit?  I have searched around a bit and have only found them by the case.  I’ve not tried them, but have heard they are great and will give it a try.

I have not tried Blaze either.  I notice that Supergrit has some sort of purple ceramic belts and they say that if you love Blaze you’ll goove on their purple belts.  They are supposed to be really tough, hard to fracture ceramic.  But they say they work best on high speed grinders which my Kally 1x42 is not.  I guess the only way to know is to try them.

I seem to be able to create a toothy edge without much difficulty.  The problem is complete burr removal without sacrificing the tooth.  That last little bit of burr right at the edge can be a bear to get at and remove.  The stuff just bends and bends and bends and…  

For the 80 grit blade I did, I deburred using the soft rubber base of the Sharp Pad and just hand stropped until the burr was gone.  That worked, but it took forever.  Like, it took a really long time.  I just sat on the back porch and stropped away until the burr was gone while I watched the hummingbirds enjoying a beverage from the feeders and hoisting a cold brew for myself.  Enjoyable yes, but I’d like to get deburring down to a minute or so.

Thanks again for the Cubitron II link! Cool
You are welcome, Sir. I had to order some when I found them.

If you are familiar with Cubitron II, you are using the best belts IMHO. The purple belts, Blaze and Klingspoor all fit the notch below Cubitron II. They are all very good, and I don't hesitate to use them when I can't get Cubitrons.

When all else fails, you can always try Econ Abrasives. They will turn 2x72 or whatever you can find into 1x42 belts. They do a perfect job for very little money.
I hadn’t searched around for a while, so I checked it out again. Same story as before.  Other than 80 grit, the Cubitron II belts don’t seem to be available in small quantities.  I was able to find them, but only by the case.  MSC for example has 1x42’s in finer grits but only in lots of 200 or more.  Huh

If anyone knows of a source for small quantities, please let me know!
Mr. Grepper, you don't have to limit yourself to Cubitron IIs. There are plenty of very good ceramic belts. Cubitron IIs are really designed for heavy grinding with medium to high pressure.

For sharpening, you put no pressure on the belt, so regular Cubitrons, Blaze, Klingspor and Deerfos ceramic belts all work great for sharpening. I like X/Y weight belts, but I can always run something under a J weight, like the new Deerfos J weight ceramic belts I got at Blade. They leave an immaculate scratch pattern in 120, 150 and 220 grits. 

Phoenix Abrasives has everything you could want. If they don't have it, they'll make it. 

If you really need something that only comes in bulk, I think we have enough players to make a group purchase.
Yeah, I’ve got all sorts of different belts; AO, ceramic, Zirc, SiC, from 36 grit to 6,000 grit.  Probably way more belts than I should be allowed to have! Dodgy   So, now I'll have the 150 grit Cubitron and 120 grit Cubitron II's to play with too.  I'm just always looking for what stays sharp the longest but does not cost $200/belt.

I’ve never ordered from Phoenix, but I’ll check them out.  Thanks Mr. Mark.