Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
buffing speed
I remember finding a statement by a sharpening source who, after testing, determined that, in his opinion, the ideal speed for a moving leather honing belt or wheel was approximately the speed of a Tormek.

I apologize for not being able to source this better; I have forgotten the name of the source. Perhaps someone on the forum can help out.

I am presently just beginning to test an 8" x 1" Duro Felt (hard grade) buffing wheel. I am using it on my Tormek T4, which uses eight inch (200mm) diameter grinding wheels. The felt wheel has a one inch bore opening. I have it mounted on a steel one inch to twelve mm reducing bushing.

I debated between the hard and rock hard grades. If the hard tests well, I may add a rock hard.

My initial problem has been slippage. 

My wife and grandchildren have awoken; I will return to this post.

Back.... The slippage issue is somewhat due to needing spacers to bring the one inch felt wheel to 40mm. 12mm fenders, readily available, should solve that. I remember they work better on one side of the grinding wheel. I don't remember whether that is the inside or outside. (50-50 chance of getting it right on the first attempt).

I would also like to glue the felt wheel to the steel bushing. Any glue suggestions?

Next issue will be choice of honing compound. 

I do not know if this will work well or not. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Comments welcome.

Ken
"I would also like to glue the felt wheel to the steel bushing. Any glue suggestions?"

Try Loctite 609.  It is an extremely strong adhesive.  It is used in model helicopters to "glue" the main pinion gear to powerful, high speed brushless round main motor shafts with no keyway or key.  It's really tough, amazing stuff and has 3,000 psi holding power and Bonds gaps up to 0.010".  More than enough for the Tormek. Smile  It has never failed for me.

The cool thing is that it can be removed with heat @ 450° F. 

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc...RecID=7415

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-s...7928194049
Good suggestion, Grepper. I will be purchasing some. I will post results.

Thanks,

Ken
Grepper,

My container of Loctite 609 arrived today. I just glued my felt wheel to one of the 1 inch to 12mm steel reducing bushings which came with my D-Way CBN wheels. No surprise, the felt absorbed a fair amount of the adhesive. I tried to use plenty. With family obligations, I will not have the chance to try it until next week, by which time it should be thoroughly dry.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ken
Hmmm, I must have not understood what you were trying to do. I thought you were trying glue a bushing to the inside of a solid wheel, not a bushing to felt.

Loctite 609 is for bearing/bushing retention generally to a steel shaft or bore, not for gluing felt or cloth to some surface.

It sounds like you are trying glue a piece of felt to the outer surface of a wheel. In that case I’d use a good all purpose adhesive or epoxy.

Sorry about the misunderstanding Ken!
No problem. The Loctite is drying. (Hopefully) either it will work or provide a good substrate "primer" for whatever glue follows.  Smile

Ken
Loctite 609 is an anaerobic adhesive.  It will be interesting to hear from you what happens.  I have my doubts.

For a permanent adhesive I would think a good construction adhesive would work.  Thick and gooey, should stick well to felt.

You might try a repositionable spray adhesive.  It may be enough to hold the felt in place and you could remove it too.  Something like:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/...tack+spray

Let us know what you find that works!

I looked up the Duro Felt wheels.  Should have done that first!

I wonder if something like this might work:
http://tinyurl.com/n7rq94v

Or even just two flat washers.

Smashing the felt wheel between two washers might be the way to go.

Sorry about my confusion!
I really like the two conical washer idea! 

Ken
Update:

I tried the Duro Felt eight inch hard wheel, now glued to the steel reducing bushing with Loctite 609. I used it on a Tormek T4 with Dur Sol honing compound. Slippage was infrequent and short lived. It felt like the steel bushing might have slipped. It was not enough of a problem to stop operations. I think one of the conical washers suggested by Grepper might eliminate the slipping. 

I meant to put witness lines on the bushing and felt to make sure the glue joint was not slipping, a good thing to do before my next sharpening session.

At this point, I don't know if the felt wheel is really an improvement over the Tormek leather honing wheel. Time will tell. I will keep you posted.

Ken
I may not be tracking you, but would a rubber washer between the wheel and the nut work?

I mean something you could cut from an inner tube.