Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unlimited iron an nickel resources
Grepper you are correct, yield prediction for Castle Bravo was "only" from 4 to 6 Mt of TNT. Now decommissioned B41 with expected yield 25 Mt TNT was the largest weapon produced by US.

The most powerful explosion in the human history was the Soviet 57 Mt TNT hydrogen bomb. It was detonated over the test site Novaya Zemlya in the Arctic Ocean in a height of 4 km over the land surface. It was 27 ton monster hardly transportable by an airplane.

Jan

In the U.S, in the “atomic” heyday, people went nuts over it.  There was “atomic” everything!  The Atomic Café!  Atomic toaster, atomic oven, atomic hair dryer, atomic hamburger!  You name it, the ad industry glommed onto it like it was the best thing since the wheel.

Atomic fever gripped the nation and people flocked in droves to Nevada to watch bomb tests like going to a movie. They would literally take the family, pull up the lawn chairs, get out the picnic basket and enjoy the show.

While absolutely true, now it’s hard to believe.  I’m sure it was quite the show, but it was truly insane! Huh

This is true:

Click me:    
Just out of curiosity, I took part in negotiations concerning CTBT (Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty) which is almost 20 years ready for entry in to force, but waiting for ratification in some countries. Those states are: China, Egypt, Iran, Israel, India, North Korea, Pakistan and the United States. Sad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehens...Ban_Treaty

Jan

I've been there several times Jan. The first time with my folks on a road trip from Connecticut to California many years ago and more recently with my kids. It is an impressive hole to say the least. 500 feet deep and three miles around as I recall. I think the meteor penetrated to a depth of 1200-1500 feet but most of the ejecta fell back in the hole.  They've got a cocktail table top sized piece of the meteorite in the museum and if you can pick it up you can have it. I doubt that you would have been wanting to live anywhere in the SW United States when that baby hit. It's located close to Winslow, AZ just south of I40 and well worth the side trip if you ever find yourself in the neighborhood.
Bobbo, thank you very much for your report!  Smile 
For me it's a bit far from Europe, but I believe that it is very impressive view. It is because the crater is quite young and not too much eroded since its formation some 50 000 years ago.

The history of Canyon Diablo Crater is interesting. Mining engineer Baringer received from President T. Roosevelt land patent and expected 100 million tons of meteoritic iron. He drilled several deep boreholes, but has not found any significant deposit. Current estimate of the meteorite mass is only circa 300 000 tons from which most vaporized on impact.

Here are some other impressive depressions:
https://www.smashinglists.com/top-10-str...the-world/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSkbBXpMjo