Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to purchase honing compound?
The earlier honing compound topic is going so well that I did not want to break the momentum with a low tech question.

I plan to purchase a leather honing belt during the free shipping period at Lee Valley, which ends on the 18th. Where is a goid place to purchase one of the newer honing compounds?

Thanks,

Ken
Sir

Contact: Mark Reich and he will give you names and addresses.

Let Mark know what you are wanting to accomplish and he will make recommendations that will save you time and money.

Rupert
Ken, I would be interested in your response to what Rupert asked you to specify. That being, “what you are wanting to accomplish”.
Good question; I will give it careful consideration before answering.

Ken
That is way to much money at Lee Valley for a unknown 1 x 42 leather belt.  Stick with the Surgi-Sharp product.  Cheaper and a better joint than the brand X belts I've tried.
Pete in San Ramon

925-548-6967
Rupert, Mark and Grepper,

After thinking about what I want in a honing compound, I realize my needs are very simple. Most of my woodworking tools are carbon steel, with a very few A-2 chisels. My most elegant knives are my old Henckels, the rest being primarily carbon steel. I appreciate the more sophisticated alloys of knife steel, however, I am content to enjoy them without owning them. 

I presently use either Tormek or Dur Sol honing compounds and DMT diamond paste for sharpening my scalloped bread knife. As part of upgrading my Viel grinder, I plan to purchase a leather honing belt. Having read that today's honing compounds surpass the older compounds, I would like a more modern compound for my present purposes. (I reserve the right to grow as my learning increases.)

I do appreciate your advice.

Ken
Rupert,  defers to Mark and or anyone else - I, have no experience with the new products. 

Keith's Hand America (Black Diamond) 1 mic and 3 micron were some years ago my go to compounds.

The Tormek compound is my "go to" compound at this time.

Rupert
Rupert,

Borrowing a quote from Klauswitz, "The enemy of a good honing compound is the dream of a perfect honing compound".  Shy

Ken
Sir,

thanks for the chuckle.
Here's a thought for you. Buy some either low-melt or ordinary paraffin wax, a jug of the abrasive of your choice and make your own. I've done it for years and I know that the guys at Edge On Up got quite good at it while developing Sharp Pad. I use it on my buffing wheels mostly. I can't say that I have enjoyed much success on hand strops or leather hones other than to shine the edges up a bit. The biggest pain is melting the wax. Most people use a double boiler but I use a heat gun. Don't even think about a microwave because it won't work. I tried. A little food color of choice marks the sticks you produce according to abrasive type, grit, abrasive ratio etc.