Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How we check the quality of sharpening
Since I saw Mike's experiment, I've always wanted to repeat it on a razor sharp knife.

[Image: 2kgLoad.jpg]

The photo shows Mike’s experiment with perpendicular load on a shaving-sharp 160-BESS edge with a flat end of a hardened steel rod:
2 Kg load on a hardened 5/16" steel rod did not effect the burr-free edge of a mid-range Henkel chef's knife - the same BESS reading and unchanged optical microscopy.

We see the same strength in our rental knife of 61 BESS -

The video shows how we check that the sharpening method is right. It goes without saying that we do not subject each sharpened knife to all this checks.

The Victorinox SWIBO Chef's knife in my video is sharpened at 12 dps and shows 61 BESS before and after the 2kg impact, and this is really impressive how strong a cleanly deburred edge is.
We filmed this episode by a single long shot.
A new Gillette razor scores 50 BESS, but of course is nowhere near as strong as the knife edge.

Key to the edge longevity, to the lasting razor edge on your knife, is to clean it of all the metal deformed in grinding.

[Image: load_2kg_explained_s.jpg]
http://knifeGrinders.com.au
Outstanding video, Vadim. Your superb research and technique keeps getting better!
Keep up the good work!

Ken