Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edge Angle, Angle Guide, and Blade Body Angle
I don't know if this would work, but-

Measure the thickness at the spine and distance from spine to edge. Make a triangle with the sides meeting at a point. Use a protractor to check the taper.

CAD would make that easier, but pencil and paper might work. I've read that in medieval times everything was designed on, gasp, drafting tables!
I think you are right about this. Now where is my protractor!!!
My electric eraser--gone forever with my Post slide rule, but a few HB, 2H and 4H pencils survive. Never know when they'll be needed. HA!
With a blade that only has one body bevel, measurements and trig will probably get you close.  But with blades like the Cold Steel Recon Tanto, or similar blades, it's harder.

Because the body near the spine is flat stock.  But just forward of that is the angled part of the blade.  ...and when you press the angled part into your rest, or table, it lifts and tilts the spine of the blade.  Which means you'd need to measure it's height at this point, or measure at the start of the angled part or something.

All of which to say:  It's much, much easier to stick an angle cube to the blade, press it down and look at the angle.  After zeroing it on the table first of course.

Brian.
What angle gauge/blocks do you use?
(03-26-2020, 02:47 PM)grepper Wrote: What angle gauge/blocks do you use?

AccuRemote Digital Electronic Magnetic Angle Gage Level/Protractor/Bevel Gauge

I think this is what I have. Been awhile since I used it.
I have one of those things too, but mine is only accurate to +/- 1° so I never use it.  The one you linked to is Accuracy: +/- 0.2° .  There is this one https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Level-Too...HPTB2JSBW3 that claims accurate (±0.1).

For all of the electronic versions it might be good idea to check them against a physical angle block to see if they live up to their claims of accuracy.
(03-26-2020, 03:48 PM)grepper Wrote: For all of the electronic versions it might be good idea to check them against a physical angle block to see if they live up to their claims of accuracy.

Just measured my 15 degree CNC cut wedge using my Angle Cube.  It measured about 14.90 degrees.  I say "about" because depending where you put the cube, if you hold it down, etc, the reading changes just a little bit.

Also, it's shocking how not level almost everything is.  Put the cube down on a table and zero it.  Did it zero?  Better double check because sometimes the act of pushing the button moves the cube in some dimension enough that it's NOT zeroed.  Ok now it's zeroed.  Move the cube a inch or two one way or the other.  Still zeroed?  On most of my garage surfaces, zero moves around as I move the cube on the surface.

This is probably way too much discussion about angles anyway.  What have I started?  Tongue

Brian.