Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BESS 10
A friend of mine in Kiruna SWEDEN manufactures razors by hand. He asked me to test one of his razors. He should feel satisfied with the result.

https://youtu.be/bcTYo1LeTW8
That's amazing. Indeed, your friend should feel satisfied with the result! I think the only way to get it sharper would be to make it two dimensional.

Please get your friend to join the Exchange and share with us how he does it.
Incredible, it means that the edge is only some 70 iron atoms thick! Wink

We certified the razor today and measured the tip, middle and heel of the blade. BESS 7, BESS 12 and BESS 6 - average sharpness BESS 8.33
Everything on video. Link to my YouTube channel will come when the video is ready.
Here is the promised video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94ZcU5F2Eg
Why so horribly dull in the middle of the blade?  Wink
I've talked to the manufacturer about it. Personally, I think it depends on how he holds the knife blade when he grinds. If he holds the blade so that the pressure increases towards the ends, the middle is almost not ground. Alternatively, the knife has a slight skew that appears at this grinding level.
Maybe someone else has any idea? It may seem a bit disturbing with this great variation on this short blade.
(04-17-2019, 12:44 AM)tailmotor Wrote: I've talked to the manufacturer about it. Personally, I think it depends on how he holds the knife blade when he grinds. If he holds the blade so that the pressure increases towards the ends, the middle is almost not ground. Alternatively, the knife has a slight skew that appears at this grinding level.
Maybe someone else has any idea? It may seem a bit disturbing with this great variation on this short blade.

Hello! Found my way here by the grace of tailmotor  Cool
Up until we met I had never heard of the Bess scale, but now I know better  Big Grin

I have a few theories too on the matter why the blade is more dull in the middle..
As tailmotor said it could be pressure when grinding but what if the seemingly straight edge has a slight bow to it? Whereas the middle section of the blade edge is lower than the edge or tip.

Or it can also be a matter of blade thickness as the height of bewel is a tiny bit wider in middle section, maybe a few minutes extra on the hone would make it more consistent.

To this point I can't make out any difference to the perception of the blades sharpness while honing, it's just sharp.
And hanging hair test only goes so far. This is some new dimension for me.

Maybe need a test device of my own, then I can check and track the progress..
Big Grin 
Welcome RAÖ razor to the forum ..... now everyone can directly ask the man behind BESS 6. 2xthumbsup Huh
I'm just an amateur in the context ..... because my best results for kitchen knives are modest BESS 23. Sick

(04-17-2019, 03:44 AM)tailmotor Wrote: Welcome RAÖ razor to the forum ..... now everyone can directly ask the man behind BESS 6. 2xthumbsup Huh
I'm just an amateur in the context ..... because my best results for kitchen knives are modest BESS 23. Sick

Thank you  2xthumbsup

In my sharpness world it easier, the blade shaves close and comfortable then it's good.

Bess scale testing is a new can of worms and I'm delighted  Big Grin