Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why use honing compoound?
Gees, I can't thank you guys enough for your kind thoughts and words. Truly, super humbling.   Blush

Mr. Grepper, thank you also for your open minded thoughts and replies. It's really great to have you here!

It's certainly my pleasure to try to answer your pertinent questions. We all grow alongside you.  Smile
What a fascinating discussion!

Let me add to the knowledge base one point that is easy to overlook. Linen belts are reusable. So when, eventually the particles 'wear off', unlike a commercially available belt which you would throw away when it wears out, you simply reload the SAME belt multiple times. So you are really comparing the longevity of a reloadable belt against one time use belts.

Another important component is the abrasive itself. CBN, polycrystalline diamond and the other compound solutions I have (over 200 choices) contain particles that are considerably harder than the abrasives in the steel, so they cut through these carbides much more effectively than many of the common abrasive particles like aluminum oxide and silicon carbides. This allows for greater cutting ability and particle longevity.

---
Ken
We agree Ken123 and thanks for reviving this topic. Intriguing possibilities here. Please allow us to ask a question about reloading linen belts with abrasive compounds. Is your reference to this practice only with regard to very fine abrasives i.e. 3- 5 micron or do you feel that it is also viable for much coarser abrasives?
Certainly even coarser abrasives can be used. I personally like to stop at 80 microns. I do have 200 and 300 micron CBN particles, but they start looking like poppy seeds and tend to roll off the strop a bit easily.

The coarser the particles, the less of them you have in a suspension or emulsion. You have more particles but less of them so the total carat count remains the same.

At the other extreme from 80 microns, I have diamond particles in a spray formulation that are 0.005 microns or 3.2 million grit. These particles (5 nanometers each) are the width of a DNA strand. To give a size perspective. An 80 micron CBN emulsion has a few hundred particles in a 2 oz bottle whereas a 2 oz bottle of 5 nanometer particles has 60 TRILLION particles in a 2 oz bottle.

I like to use linen belts because of their durability however the linen is not as fine as nanocloth strops. I would estimate that limiting linen strops to 0.25 microns would be pushing the limits of a strop of linen.

---
Ken
Ken,

I am pleased that you are posting. Two questions:

How would you compare linen belts with leather belts?

You did a very well done video on setting the angle on a belt grinder to make the knife horizontal and assist in keeping the bevel consistent. I watched your videos several times, but have misplaced the link. Related to this, I have posted several topics here on bessex about converting the Viel and Kalamazoo 1SM belt grinders to variable speed. I like your idea of orienting the belt angle to (example) -15° thus making the knife level. Holding a knife horizontal seems much easier that holding the same knife at fifteen or twenty degrees.

Your help is appreciated.

Ken (Ken S, the other Ken)
The other Ken S, actually, Mr. Schr----...  Wink  

Indeed, it is a  great pleasure to see one of my longest standing sharpening Brothers here on the Forum. 

When I need Any sharpening accoutrements, this is the man on speed dial. 

IMHO, Knowing that you have the right products eliminates an enormous question-mark.  

Mr. Schw----, you are welcome to go to the "Product Showcase" forum and let the Forum know of some applicable (probably nothing below 4k), common compounds, and how to get in touch with you.

I would like to know what you are carrying in oil base compounds, specifically.

I'll leave the two of you to figure out appropriate monikers, as I don't presume to use surnames.