Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The man from Bocksten
Around 1250-1300 a man was murderd in south Sweden in parish Halland (on the west coast ). The men that killed him buried him in a bog and fasten him under water with three poles thru his body. The bog water kept him end his equipment very well.

You can read more about him here; https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bocksten_Man

You can search on Google on "bockstensmannen" and go to photos to se more pictures of him.

If you have roots from Sweden/Scandinavia - you will share some of this mans genes, he is one of your forefathers.
The man from Bocksten carry a knife belt and in the belt he had a knife. It was a hatknife, with hatknife means that it was a ordinary sheath - but also the handle had a sheath = hatt in Swedish.

Beside the man from Bocksten was found another knife belt - that also had a hatknife. If the man from Bocksten carry two belts - or if one of the men that killed him lost his belt we do not know.

The sheaths look like this today;

[Image: 333ib13.jpg]

The knife are very secure to carry in this type of sheath and if the leather is treated with fat the knife will be dry inside the sheath also in rain.

I have made some hatknifes but in my own design, they looks like this:

[Image: 35jge4z.jpg]

The pic shows two knifes, the lower one is bigger then the upper one. The lower one have the knife inside the leather, the upper one have the hat taken off.

Thomas
Very interesting story Thomas. This is what you would call a "cold case". Was only the "hat knife" found? Knives were very valuable then. Suppose the bad guys took his other knife?
I think my DNA came from the other guys. Everyone knows I am a bad, bad man.   Big Grin

They left the knife/knives to eliminate evidence, of course. You just aren't not a bad, bad man, Mike.
The bog save the soft material - but iron rusted away, so there was no knifes left, only the handles.

I think you have heard about the chessboard and the horn. 1 on the first square, then 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 and so on. Genes work in the same way, we all Scandinavians carry the genes from all people that lived in the 13 centuary in Scandinavia - good or bad Wink

Thomas
Got it Thomas and thank you. Saw that misshapen material on the hat knife and thought it was the remains of a blade. Yes Mark you are one bad boy. Bad to the bone. Smile Twice you've turned down invitations to join the EOU poetry reading and needle-point club. We hope that someday you make contact with your feminine side.
What...! I have not get any invitation to be a member in the needle club! Must I send one of my needle work to prove my skills first?

My feminin side are well known, everybody say that I am a real pu**y.

Thomas