Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toothy vs Polished Edge
Sir

Post # 10

Please a more detailed image(s) of your knife rest?

Rupert,  has never been able to create or come up with any sort of fixture for knives for the SM 1.

At this time in my life fixtures to steady or help guide the knife are a necessity.

Does anyone know  and/or have heard  of a rest for knives utilizing the Kali.

Our Moderator Mark Reich designed and manufactures a perfect, perfect platen for the SM 1 that enables a sharpener to do knives with said machine.

Mark's platen design is so simple and perfect that Kalamazoo copied, manufactures and gave it a Kalamazoo parts number.  Said platen should be the SM 1's standard platen.

Mark from time to time does a production run  -  yes!  Marks manufactured platens are superior to the Kalamazoo copy,  even to include price.
Here you go Mr. Rupert.

I made it by chopping a piece of 1" aluminum bar stock in half, machined out the joint and did some drilling & tapping for the bolts.  I hacked off 2 4" pieces of t-track and clamped the lower one to the 1SM with a c-clamp.

The upper t-track allows for adjusting the distance of the rest from the belt, as that changes when the angle of the rest is changed.  I use that all the time, so it's handy to have wing nuts so no wrench is needed.  Fast and simple.

The rest itself is 1" x 2"  that I cut off of a  1" x 3' piece thermoplastic of some kind that I picked up at a local Alro outlet. 

It's fully adjustable so that the rest can even be 90 degrees to the belt if you wish.

I like the rest to be the same width as the belt so that you can get a knife blade right up to the handle.

It works great!

Any questions, just let me know! Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Let Rupert say thanks -

The number three photo tells the complete story. Ingenious and simple.

This is a winner and I will get several made in the next week or so.

Again thanks

Rupert
(03-26-2017, 10:35 AM)Bobbo Wrote: My mouse arrow was poised over the post button for sometime before I had the courage to click it

Huh  Absolutely no need to worry about posting here! Shy  Your questions, comments, experiences and review are not only welcome, but really appreciated!

Everybody here was a beginner when they started out, and nobody is an expert at everything.  The only kind of stupid question there is, is the one that was not asked.  No doubt someone else will find helpful information in your posts, learn something, and in turn help someone else.  And so it goes...

I've been at it for years, and still feel like a beginner.  It's an endless learning kind of thing.

Keep posting and sharing your questions and experiences.  That's why the Exchange is here.  This place would be pretty boring without any posts!

And hey! You made the wife happy for $1.75! 2xthumbsup

Rupert,

If you are going to make one, note that that under the wingnut there is a rubber washer, then a steel washer.  That rubber washer is necessary because without it the wingnut locks against the steel washer and you will need pliers to get it loose.  Without the rubber washer you might as well use a regular nut and a wrench.

Hope that helps. Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks again for rubber washer suggestion -

Somewhere I asked what microscope you are using to get the knife edge shots that you obtain?

Thanks again as always.

Rupert
Microscope:

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Handhel...B00CMJ1I08

There are lots of USB scopes available.  What you want to look for is 5 mp and 200X or more optical magnification.  Pay no attention to digital zoom.  That's the same as zooming in on an image using a computer.

It's a bit fussy to use as far as getting the lighting right and focus.  Steel is difficult to photograph because there are all sorts of reflection issues.
Microscope

Have you tried to use a light box of some description?

Rupert
I have not put much time into experimenting with lighting.  Shining a flashlight in from the side can work, depending on the particular steel and how it's ground.  The microscope has 5 or 6 internal LED's. but sometimes top lighting does not pan out well for bevels.

I get impatient and just try to get an image and move on.  I would like to resolve the issue though.  I just need to get one of those round tuit thingies. 

https://www.amazon.com/Round-Tuit-Tokens...B008OVQZR4
We are listening Bobbo and thank you for your suggestion regarding replacement burr removal plates. We agree that it is time (and perhaps past time) that we began to consider this. In the meantime please drop us an email at edgeonup@gmail.com and we will handle your current needs. This offer is also extended to all SHARP PAD users who may find themselves in the same boat with Bobbo.

Thank you Bobbo for your sharpening/burr removal/edge testing study results. We noted that not only are you using our older PT50 edge sharpness tester model but one of the earliest PT50 models at that. Good to see that it is still providing very useful results.
(03-26-2017, 06:07 PM)grepper Wrote: Microscope:

There are lots of USB scopes available.  What you want to look for is 5 mp and 200X or more optical magnification.  Pay no attention to digital zoom.  That's the same as zooming in on an image using a computer.

It's a bit fussy to use as far as getting the lighting right and focus.  Steel is difficult to photograph because there are all sorts of reflection issues.

We were ready to pull the trigger and ordered the Celestron - thanks for the recommendation.  Nothing but success thus far. 

Have you done measurements in degrees in ref to cutting edges - beveled and or convex? 

Would you please open a thread in ref to UBS microscopes?

Another Exchange member order said microscope today.

Rupert

(03-26-2017, 06:07 PM)grepper Wrote: Microscope: 

We pulled the trigger last week and purchased the Celestron microscope - very happy with it's performance.

Sent an image of a Warther kitchen knife's edge to another Exchange member, and he pulled his trigger today and purchased a Celestron.

Rupert