Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinness of the edge apex
EOU, thank you for your recollection. Appreciated. I share your view that this discussion is important for further deepening of our understanding BESS finer points.

The attached graphs show one possible relationship between the edge apex width and BESS Scores. I do not have enough data to draw a reliable graph, so please take it as one possibility only.

For low BESS Scores the graph is linear, while later its slope rapidly increases towards BESS 2000 for 100 microns (0.004") thick unsharpened DE blank.

Jan

Thanks Jan and thank you for the graph. Thanks as well to Grepper for his, always interesting, contributions (factoids). If your graph turned out to be an accurate forecast of the BESS we wouldn't be disappointed. Please note in our previous comments on this subject that it is our belief that it is the corners of the blade blank that do the severing and not the "edge" per se.  At this time, we and BESSU just have too many irons in the fire to study this area of the BESS in more detail. 99% of our customers are interested in areas below 1000 and the remaining 1% are below 1400. My best guess? The scale will become significantly non-linear above 750 but the non-linearity will not be nearly as dramatic as your graph demonstrates. It's a fair question though and one that we'd like to answer someday. 

To tell you the truth a DE blade blank is a poor representation of the top end of the BESS. We just can't come up with a common and inexpensive object that improves on it. In all this, let's not forget that the real limit to the top end of edge testing under the BESS system is represented by the tensile strength of BESS test media and that is a number that far, far exceeds 2000 grams.  

I notice that we are currently sitting at 1398 posts on the BESS and I assume that this post will make 1399. That's a lot of good content and we can't thank all of you enough. Who will be lucky number 1400?
I happen to be in the right place at the right time. I'd be silly not to. Smile

Congratulations Mark! Couldn't think of a more worthy winner. Now let's see...what did you win? Mmmm, still thinking...got it! Our eternal gratitude for being a great guy and one of our finest contributors to the BESS Exchange!
Mike, thanks for your lenient assessment. Smile  The graph was of course not intended for you at EOU! I have prepared it to illustrate the discussion within this thread and its posting has overlapped with your contribution.

You have focused the attention to the top end of the BESS scale which is less well understood yet. You are correct, when the thickness of the unsharpened DE blank cannot be considered as a real edge apex width, than the graph will change significantly. Sad

If you will have supplementary data please do not hesitate to task me to update the graph. It will be my pleasure to play with those numbers.

Jan

Got it and thank you. Once we (BESS Universal) turn back to the upper regions of the BESS we will release what we have learned.
(11-06-2017, 06:34 PM)EOU Wrote: Congratulations Mark! Couldn't think of a more worthy winner. Now let's see...what did you win? Mmmm, still thinking...got it! Our eternal gratitude for being a great guy and one of our finest contributors to the BESS Exchange!

Heheh! Thank you ever so kindly, Mike. That surely means more than I can say. Smile