Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gritomatic Goniometer
I hope it’s ok to post this here. I just saw that Gritomatic has a new laser goniometer for what has to be the cheapest price ever for this type of device. Has anyone tried it yet?

I think a Goniometer, guided sharpener with angle cube and EOU tester would be a really powerful trio for repeatable edges. 
Anything that might advance our member's understanding of edges and edge sharpness is just fine with the Exchange CasePeanut. We just don't overtly knock people's products here although we might ask questions with regard to  their benefit.  Haven't heard of the device myself - do you have a link?
May be that this is it?
https://www.gritomatic.com/products/lase...goniometer
Accepts 2" blade width

Rupert
(02-10-2020, 09:32 AM)Mike Brubacher Wrote: Anything that might advance our member's understanding of edges and edge sharpness is just fine with the Exchange CasePeanut. We just don't overtly knock people's products here although we might ask questions with regard to  their benefit.  Haven't heard of the device myself - do you have a link?

Great to hear. Rupert found the link: https://www.gritomatic.com/products/lase...goniometer

I never thought I could afford a device like this, but bringing it under $100 makes it within reach. I think it would be fascinating to measure the blade before & after sharpening to see if there were any changes in the bevels. I imagine it could also help explain BESS or other cutting test scores more accurately.
I know how I shall construct a sharpening tool that have a extream precision - but I so not think that it is a market for it Smile

I can build a tool today that have a precision on 1/100 part of 1 degree - and the angle can be repeated for maintanence.
I think that I can build a tool that have precsision 1/1000 part of 1 degree, also repeated for maintanence. But I cant se a market for that tool, it will be expensive...

To meassure a edge in the tool woth 1/100 parts of 1 degree, with the same precission, are easy to do. It will take some seconds to asjust to the correct degree, but finer adjustmens down 1/100 parts of 1 degree will take 1-2 minutes.

My tool Chef can today, with the naked eye, be adjusted down to 0,25 degrees precision, with extra equipment down to 0,10 degrees - and from a made angle on the edge It is possible to adjust the edge to 1/100 part of 1 degree steeper angle - and then go between those two angles and hit there surfaces perfect.

The problem is the sharpeners thickness (but I have a aolution for that also - but not with the perfect precision as the tool have). If the sharpener are 1/100 part of 1 millimeter thicker, ot thinner - it will give a wrong angle on the edge...

So, to build the tool are not a big problem - to have different sharpeners with different grits in the exactly the sane thicknes and be able to go with finer and finer grit - that is the problem...

No sharpener producer have that precision in thicknes...

So, the solution is to be able to meaasure the thicknes of the sharpener and then adjust the tool dor the thickness - and then adjust to the new wanted angle... Wink I work on that this sins some years back just becouse I like to be able to do it, and as I say above, I do not think that it is any market for this high precision.

To be able to get an edge really sharp I must have 100 % control of the cutting edge and its sides - and also have full control of the grit I end up the sharpening process with - at least in my mind Wink

Yes, I know I am a nerd. I have been very thick and so also my wife. We have both cancer and othe sicnessess - so I have, when I could, focus on precision on sharpening tools just for the fun if it Wink

Thomas
I am trying to send a picture on a edge with 1/100 parts of 1 degree differance between 2 surfaces...

[Image: image.jpg]

I have made this two surfaces in different diagonal angles so that they shall be possible to se.

Notice also the back edge line.

If I remember correctly, i used 25 microne Norton diamond sharpener when I did this...

Thomas
Thanks to you and your Chef sharpening devices - all the other devices are in your dust.

Rupert
Good to hear from you again Thomas! We all all wish both you and your wife good health. Your sharpening systems have always had the appearance of being top notch and we have always appreciated the opportunity to learn more about them as well as your many outdoor  adventures and experiences in Sweden. 

Welcome back to the Exchange!
Thanks Rupert and Mike!

Thomas
CATRA has their basic goniometer on sale at 79 pounds sterling:

http://www.catra.org.uk/CATRA_Hobbigoni_...p/cuhg.htm