Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpening scandi knife with belt grinder
Many people here are doing sharpening with belt grinder. Do you sharpen scandi knife with a belt grinder?

I think using a belt will force the bevel to become convex. Somebody wouldn't like it.
If your belt grinder has a flat platen, it is quite easy to do.
IMHO, if you aren't using enough pressure to deflect the belt, most of the convexity must come from human error.

Also MHO, Scandi grinds are most likely designed to be sharpened on a stone.

Many people use a slight microbevel on Scandies too, probably because that's easily accomplished on a stone.
You have to have a lot more talent than I do to sharpen against the platen. That's not a very high bar though. I can't do it without making a mess of the bevel. I'm strictly above the platen.
(03-07-2019, 09:15 AM)ajoe Wrote: If your belt grinder has a flat platen, it is quite easy to do.

My Viel(fixed speed) has a flat platen, but it removes metal very fast and makes a lot of heat.
Mark. 

Also MHO, Scandi grinds are most likely designed to be sharpened on a stone.
>>> I agree. I think Tormek can be used. Also Mora recommend it in their F.A.Q. 

Many people use a slight microbevel on Scandies too, probably because that's easily accomplished on a stone.
>>> Mora said Scandi edge have to have microbevel because edge durability, and said only carving knives can be sharpen with zero Scandi edge. I make it with Spyderco Sharpmaker at 20 degrees per side.
(03-07-2019, 01:37 PM)Mike Brubacher Wrote: You have to have a lot more talent than I do to sharpen against the platen. That's not a very high bar though. I can't do it without making a mess of the bevel. I'm strictly above the platen.

Yes, It's hard to do on the platen. So I have a plan using jig or guide.
">>> I agree. I think Tormek can be used. Also Mora recommend it in their F.A.Q."

Maybe for the microbevel, but Tormek produces a hollow grindI doubt it would make any discernible difference in real-world use anymore than the possibility of an ever so slight convex grind that might happen with off the platen sharpening on a belt grinder.  
I wonder how much our idea of "hollow grind" is a product of our early learned memories. Like many of my generation, my hollow grind memories began with the typical six inch grinders. My grandfather had a 1930s vintage belt driven six inch grinder. I still have my motor driven belt grinder from 1972.

Would my concept of hollow grind be different if my memory was of a large foot powered sandstone wheel?

Ken