![]() |
|
a holiday tragedy averted - Printable Version +- The BESS Exchange is sponsored by Edge On Up (http://bessex.com/forum) +-- Forum: BESS Forums (http://bessex.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1) +--- Forum: Relevant General Discussion (http://bessex.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19) +--- Thread: a holiday tragedy averted (/showthread.php?tid=204) Pages:
1
2
|
a holiday tragedy averted - Ken S - 11-24-2017 Yesterday I was helping my wife and grandchildren prepare Thanksgiving dinner. My wife asked me to measure seven ounces of flour. Alas, my trusty scale was AWOL. Before panicing, I asked myself what would my super hero, Mr. Mike, do? In a flash, I knew. Mr. Mike would reach for the most dependable thing in his shop, his ever trusty KN-100. I did the same. I removed the superstructure. Using my razor sharp calculator brain, I changed the mode from grams to ounces. The corn bread was rescued! Thanks, Mr. Mike. Once again you saved the day! Ken RE: a holiday tragedy averted - EOU - 11-25-2017 That's a good one Ken and a testament to Ohioan ingenuity! We think that an EOU edge tester should be part of every cornbread recipe. RE: a holiday tragedy averted - Ken S - 11-25-2017 I wouldn't get dressed without it. RE: a holiday tragedy averted - grepper - 11-25-2017 Whenever the road of life gets a bit rocky, I know the very first thing that comes to my mind is, what would Mr. Mike do?
RE: a holiday tragedy averted - Ken S - 11-25-2017 WWMMD RE: a holiday tragedy averted - Jan - 11-26-2017 Ken, your story reminded me the beauty and reliability of old balances. My balance scale is circa 100 years old. It is Roberval balance. The pivots of the parallelogram understructure makes it insensitive to load positioning away from center, so improves its accuracy, and ease of use. The masses, when used for commerce, were periodically checked by licensed technicians. When the brass mass was worn, he drilled small hole in the mass bottom and filled it with cooper rod. Cooper is slightly heavier than brass. Jan [attachment=347] [attachment=348] RE: a holiday tragedy averted - Ken S - 11-26-2017 Jan, What a nice old balance. It reminds me of my grandfather's Eastman (Kodak) lab balanca. Dad mixed his own photographic chemicals. He taught me, and I mixed my own chemicals. I'm sure my grandfather did the same during the 1930s when he used a Graflex. As I have reached the age when I need to lighten my load of material possessions, I have sold or given away my darkroom equipment. I sold the lab balance to someone who apprecisted it as a beautiful antique. I gave my Ohaus triple beam balance to the science program at my grandchildren's school. Both have fond memories for me. Clever about using copper. Ken RE: a holiday tragedy averted - EOU - 11-27-2017 Alright Ken, we just deciphered IMHO a couple of weeks ago. WWMMD? What would Mary Marvel Do? Where on earth does that emanate from or... WOEDTEF RE: a holiday tragedy averted - Ken S - 11-27-2017 What Would Mister Mike Do?, of course. ![]() Ken RE: a holiday tragedy averted - Bud - 11-27-2017 Even I got that one Ken. I like it! I love those old balances. My dad started collecting them years ago and he has some very interesting ones. Some are so sensitive that you have to turn the heat/AC off because the air movement will affect the result. I keep my eye out for both old and unusual ones now. They make great birthday presents.
|