The BESS Exchange is sponsored by Edge On Up

Full Version: 3 degrees wobble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My experiance is that freehand sharpening wobble minimum 3 degrees and that it is impossible for the human hands to come below 3 degrees wobble.
I have also read a scientific research that also say this dor meny years ago - but I cannot find that research now.

I think that a new research about this are important to do.

3 degree wobble = freehand sharpening = both hands free in the air, knife in ine hand, sharpener in the the other hand.

2 degree wobble when the sharpener are fixed and stabile and the knife are hand hold with 1 hand

1-2 degree wobble when the sharpener are fixed and stabile and the knife are hanshold with 2 hands

0 degree wobble when both tha sharpener and the knife are fixed in position in a stabile sharpening tool.

This is my experiances - but my experiances are not scientific... Smile

Also;
Freehand sharpening, semi freehand sharpening, one hand, two hands...we need words for different types/ways of sharpening...that also give, or describe, how much wobble there is...?

A research like this will soon be Basic knowledge I think and it will also kill a lot of myths about sharpening.

Is it possible to make a sientific research like this here on BESS Forum?

It will be hard discussed with much anger and resistance - but also much accepted and i think loved - and it will absolutley market the BESS Forum Smile

Thomas
I know I can't hold a steady angle hand held, especially going around the tip and flipping the knife from one side to the other. Nowhere even close. I don't know the exact number of degrees, but I have no doubt there is significant variation.

I'm sure there are some folks who might be pretty good at it, but for me a guided system of some sort is much faster, more accurate and produces a far more consistent edge.
I sharpen by freehand during 40 years and I was good at it, but I noticed that all flat edges become convex over time. I experimented how I shall keep the edge flat - but it was impossible, i experimented how to not let the convex edge go more and more convex - and find out how I shall do to keep an 3 degree convex edge to keep it 3 degrees convex, this was during the sixties and seventies.

Then I read a scientific research that have give the same result as my experiance that confirm my experiance - but I think this must be common knowledge becouse it is important to understand how different sharpening processes in fact works.

I can not do this research my self and publiciize the result becouse I make sharpening tools...people should not belive the result and se it as marketing Smile

I se this knowledge as very important to understand - and it can kill many myths about sharpening.

I know the result allready - but I like to know if it is 3 degrees, or, 2,5 or 3.5 degrees - and also how many degrees other methods wobble.

I know that also sharpening tools "wobble". I can meaasure down to 1/100 part if 1 degree - but this wobble is lesser then that - I can see it - but not meassure it.

This "wobble" is about the direction I move the sharpeners, the angle differ between forward and back drags, this differance is 1-2 1000 parts off 1 degree, not more then that. That is on my sharpening tool Chef using a 10 micron well used diamond sharpener.

Thomas
It would be an interesting study Thomas but not exactly sure "who" would be studied or  "how". Our best bet would be that just like sawing a straight line with a handsaw, some can and most can't.
That is my point EOU, no one can sharpen by freehand without wobble - but some think they can, some know they cannot. Those who knows they cannot can develop and learn more, those who think they can have stop learning.

I like to help also them to develop and learn more. Smile

Thomas
You are a true sage and bastion of wisdom and generosity Mr. Thomas. I agree with you 100%.
I have learn that when we humans think we know something - we also stop learning about what we think we know.
But - when we really know and understand something - we understand that we still have a lot to learn...

People that have halv knowledge know so little that they think they know everything...and stop learning.

Example. 3 years after people have got their driving licens they think that they are exelent drivers and that other people cant drive at all - and that is also when most people die in car accidents... = lack of knowledge and understanding of knowledge kills them.

Thomas
Another great utterance, "When we humans think we know something - we also stop learning about what we think we know.  But - when we really know and understand something - we understand that we still have a lot to learn..."

You should write a book.
The problem with writing a book in life philosophy is you quickly learn that everything you have to say has been said by someone else already.
I think what you where looking for is already in existence Mr Thomas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84ReMZbopis
Pages: 1 2